That is the net model of CEO Every day. To get it delivered to your inbox, sign up here.
Good morning. David Meyer right here in Berlin, filling in for Alan.
And the winner of the U.S. election is…far from clear. On the time of writing, Joe Biden had secured 238 of the 270 Electoral Faculty votes he would want to assert the presidency, and Trump had 213. That’s according to the Associated Press. Amid big turnout, each side have scored extra uncooked votes than they bought within the final election.
This a lot could be mentioned for positive: there was no Blue Wave. Though the Democrats have notably flipped Arizona, they can’t declare an total landslide even when they win. As issues stand, it appears unlikely that they may flip the Senate, and on the time of writing they had been even a number of seats down within the Home.
So the end result of the election appears unsure—not simply because it’s an in depth race, but additionally as a result of President Trump is claiming electoral fraud, with no proof. Trump mentioned within the early hours of this morning that he had received, and would go to the Supreme Courtroom as a result of “we would like all voting to cease.”
“We don’t need them to search out any ballots at 4 o’clock within the morning and add them to the listing,” the president mentioned, even if it’s commonplace for the depend to proceed for days after the election. Republicans reminiscent of Chris Christie and Rick Santorum have decried Trump’s feedback, whereas Biden’s marketing campaign known as them “a unadorned effort to remove the democratic rights of Americans.”
U.S. inventory futures fell immediately after Trump’s press convention, earlier than rebounding, then beginning to head south once more. So buckle up: volatility is the order of the day.
Listed here are another outcomes from yesterday’s voting:
- An enormous win for “gig economic system” outfits reminiscent of Uber and DoorDash, because the Proposition 22 ballot initiative passed in California, permitting such corporations to proceed classifying their employees as impartial contractors.
- Nonetheless, Proposition 23 fell—Californian voters said no to imposing new regulatory requirements on kidney dialysis clinics, in a victory for clinic operators and a loss for organized labor.
- Floridians voted to increase their state’s minimum wage from $8.56 to $15 by 2026.
- Leisure weed is about to become legal in Arizona, New Jersey, South Dakota, and Montana. Medical marijuana use will change into authorized in Mississippi for folks with debilitating situations.
- Mississippi’s flag will lose the Confederate banner and acquire a magnolia.
Non-election-related information beneath—sure, different issues are occurring on the earth too.